Monday, July 13, 2015

Una mezcla

Again, I'm sorry for la tardanza of my post. It has been SO busy here!! 

I had two presentations an a midterm exam this past week. I made a 100 on the lit exam and got full credit on my presentation. I'm still awaiting the last grade. My presentation was on a short story titled "Eva, la sucia" by Jorge Franco. It's about a woman who refuses to bathe, clean or generally take care of anything until her husband returns. He doesn't return because he has been kidnapped by a group in Colombia. 
I was definitely in my element. I basically got to lead discussion and teach the story. Dare I say I enjoyed it? Okay okay. I did. 

We didn't have classes on Friday so we decided to buy bus tickets to Manuel Antonio National Park. We stayed in Tabulia Tree Hotel. I wouldn't recommend it. We were without water for an evening. That was interesting. 
We did, however, get to see monkeys, iguanas, toucans and a sloth (oso perezoso)!!




We did get to go to la playa Espadilla a couple of times. The sun isn't out as much as, say, at an Alabama beach so the beach days are shorter. 
We did eat some delicious food. I had some of the best nachos I've ever had. The chips, by the way, are thicker, but they are so good. I also had a good bit of seafood, which I love. My madre tica never cooks fish. She is allergic and begins to feel "fatal" if she eats it, so I have to get it elsewhere. 


Note to anyone traveling to Manuel Antonio. Be aware of how taxis normally work in Costa Rica. The taxistas should run the "maria" or meter to give the correct mileage/charge. They tried to cheat us numerous times. You guys know that I hate being treated like I'm stupid so that didn't go over well. Let just say an old man started yelling at us and there was basically an agreement amongst some of them to NOT help us. Needless to say, I was pretty angry. 


We got back to the city (San José) Sunday evening. I still had reading to do...

P.S. I was so proud of myself for packing light! This is an achievement worth documenting. If only my hair would look as good as it did in MA sans a hairdryer on a regular basis. Jaja

No comments:

Post a Comment