Thursday, July 16, 2015

Sugerencias y cosas que he aprendido

First of all, let me give a "shout out" of sorts to my students reading this. You chic@s are the best! 

Also, my Mom, my Dad and my Aunt 'Laine have done an exceptional job helping take care of me this week. Thank you!!! This brings me to number one...
1) If you come to Costa Rica, bring some cash. I don't mean a few bucks. Bring about 75-100 bucks for each week. You can change the money easily at a bank. Also call your debit/credit card companies and make sure they know you'll be using you card in a foreign country. That said, I DID bring cash, but I needed to use my card to get some cash for the last two weeks. I tried at least 4 times, and it wouldn't work. I then called my mom and got her to check on my account. We found out that someone has been using my card in New Orleans...since I've been here. What?! Praise God that we caught it when we did. Had the ATM worked, I still wouldn't know. My precious mom (with the help of my aunt who has an iPhone and can talk to me) got my stolen money back. 

2) Don't be afraid to ask for help. I have a class with a guy named Max. I found out early on that Max is a Believer, and every time he gives a presentation in class, it somehow hits home with me. He isn't ashamed to share his faith, but he does it with grace.  When he found out about my money predicament he didn't hesitate to offer to loan me money. I am so grateful the Lord put him in my path. 

3) The hot water in the shower is heated by an electrical apparatus. ¡Ojo! It takes some finagling to get the warm/hot water. You have to turn the knob pretty far, then turn it back slowly towards the point where it makes the "pshhhh" sound. (Jaja! Yea...I just said that). I shaved with cold water for probably the first week. That was not fun. 

4) One word: batidos. You guys. This is in my top 5 fav things here. They take fresh fruit, ice, sugar and either milk or water and mix it in a blender. We have these for breakfast lunch and dinner. I am such a fan!!

5) Don't count on a nap if you live across the street from a recycling plant. You read that correctly. Sometimes I need a nap after class. But it is so hard to sleep when I haven't really got a wall (There's an open window in my bedroom inside the house.). Then there's an open window on the outside wall that is ALWAYS open--rain, shine, exhaust fumes, dog barking, what have you. I've learned that apparently, to recycle glass, you have to break it manually here. I really don't know, but that's what they're doing. Imagine having a pile of 20 glass bottles and smashing them with a hammer. That should give you the background noise for my attempted nap.  

6) Bring sweaters and pants and close-toed shoes. It's chilly a good portion of the time, and it rains. Wearing pants and close-toed shoes helps you blend in a bit more with the locals. I said a BIT more. Just don't wear Tempos, flip flops and workout attire to class. Okay? Good. 

7) The lit classes require a considerable amount of work in comparison with the other classes. That's all I'm going to say about that right now. 

8) Try to avoid the extreme touristy locations. They are beautiful, but there are less crowded options at times. And da I mention my distaste to cheating taxi drivers?

9) Learn where your fellow MLSA students live. 

10) This is a big one. GO TO THE DANCE CLASS the Spanish language department offers. I had SO much fun yesterday. We danced bachata, merengue, salsa and cumbia/swing. It's even more fun if you can find a guy who can dance! 

I'm sure I have more to add, but I'll have to save it for next time. 

(Oh! I recently found out my AP students did AMAZINGLY well on their exams. I'm so proud!)



No comments:

Post a Comment