Tuesday, July 7, 2015

La semana pasada

Wow! (According to my housemate I use that word a lot. You come to notice idiosyncrasies like that when you live in close quarters with people you barely know, but I digress.) 

It's been a busy week, and I'm tired, but I have got to update you guys and gals on my trip. Last Sunday, we went to La Paz Waterfall Gardens and to visit the Poás Volcano. We couldn't really see the crater at the top of the volcano becauSe it was cloudy (we were in a cloud forest), but the tropical surroundings are beautiful. The waterfalls themselves were worth the trip. We also stopped for some strawberries along the way. Interestingly enough, they offered to put sweetene condensed milk and chocolate syrup on top. Try it. It tastes like a sundae. 

We then started classes on Monday. My first class, Contemporary Latin American Literature is from 8-10:20. Let me just say that that is a long time. I love a good literature discussion; don't get me wrong, but this becoming a student again is tough business. My next class is from 10:35-12:50. It's an advanced conversation class and the Profe is younger than I am...not that I'm old. It's just a bit (okay, maybe a lot) nerve racking to have someone tweaking and grading my conversation, grammar and pronunciation skills. I had to give a 10 minute presentation on a topic of my choice on Friday (July 3rd), and I was so nervous!! I'm a teacher, yes, but I'm also a perfectionist. When I'm the student that combination equals stress even though talking to people and guiding them verbally along a learning journey (like that? Learning journey?) is my job! So glad that presentation is over. I talked about teaching ESL on Wednesdays and the people I've met and how I involve my regular school students.  I got a 95. Praise God! I have another one coming up this Thursday. Say a prayer. :)

Below are some pictures from our cruise (via catamaran) to La Isla Tortuga on Saturday. It. Was. Spectacular.

You guys, it was so beautiful. We rented chairs, went snorkeling (I saw A fish), ordered fresh coconut water still in the coconut and had a DELICIOUS lunch. I want to take my friends to this island. 


It was a great way to celebrate the Fourth of July!! 

Sunday we visited Café Britt to learn about coffee growing. Coffee is a huge export here in Costa Rica. Did you know...
A coffee plant grows for 3 years before it produces a crop. 
It produces good coffee for only 25 years, but can live about 100 years. 
Colder temps mean harder and heavier beans, which give a more even roast. 
The volcanic soil here is ideal for coffee plants. 
Coffee plants are from the gardenia family. 
Gourmet coffee beans are picked by hand. Only 20 percent of the coffee bean is used for actual coffee. 


So cool. Or "chiva" as they say here. 

I have a few interesting facts/things to share, but I'll have to put those in another post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment