Saturday, June 27, 2015

Orientación en la U y más info sobre comida

An interesting thing about the meals that my madre tica prepares is that it has more of a "meat on the side" feel. (<--I'm pretty sure I stole that phrase from the Food Network jaja) it works for me because I don't eat much red meat. Perfecto!
In the photo above, you can see the black rice and bean mixture. It's a very popular dish here called "gallo pinto" spotted rooster, more or less). It is normally eaten for breakfast. My madre tica explained that in the poor areas of the country, workers wrap their food in tortillas and call it a "gallo". But she was reluctant to say it's the same as a "burrito". I've also learned that the bananas here are FAR superior to the bananas in the U.S. I actually like them here. At home I eat them slightly green because I don't like them ripe and extremely sweet. 
The second photo is another meal--dinner. The veggies are carrots and green beans of some sort with a little beef mixed in. Black beans are a staple, of course, so I'm getting used to eating those. 

Today, Saturday, we had orientation at la U (the university). It rained most of the day, and I've decided that by the time I leave, I'll likely not care about hair or makeup much at all. Así es la vida aquí...pura vida! It's laid back and I feel excessive worrying about such things. Anywho, we met our profesoras, an I think I'm really going to like both of mine. My conversación avanzada prof is quite energetic! And my literatura contemporanea prof is sweet. Okay...I have to go eat again...jaja. Hasta pronto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment